Cisco DevNet Announcement
Cisco revamped its certification portfolio announcing new certification tracks and training in its annual festival on the eve of Cisco Live event in San Diego. The conglomerate of network professionals and tech gurus were left in awe as the networking giant announced the inclusion of dedicated network programming and automation track in the Cisco cert profile. Under the cape of Cisco DevNet certification track, Cisco formulated a completely new track adhering to the evolving technological needs of the hour. With software literally eating the world and the subsequent increase in the adaptation of software-defined networking and advanced DevOps process, it seems the need of the hour for Cisco to focus more on the software aspect of evolving track. The new certification track aims at enhancing the programmability and customization of the IT infrastructure.
Cisco DevNet | Need of DevNet
The new DevNet program aims at educating the professionals on Cisco’s automation program that aims at improvising the network performance and help automate a crucial task. The tools enable efficient automation and speeding up the network and development tasks. Using the skills and proficiency developed during this track, the professional can test, build and release network changes at an ever-increased pace. Though there are alternatives brought up earlier, being a market leader, Cisco’s DevNet program holds considerable value in the technology scape.
Hence keeping this in mind, Cisco has provided solutions and knowledgebase for the masses who choose to pursue this certification track at a minimum cost along with lab access. The program aims at imparting Network software skills over multiple levels that help to maintain the high-quality standards along with meeting the market demands and learner preferences. The improvisation in the certification track ensures to impart agility & leadership values to the professionals who choose to embark on this journey.
Though the hierarchical level of the Cisco certification track remains altered, a lot considering the entire portfolio of individual tracks like Associate, Professional & Expert level has changed. The certification program typically targets two categories of audience, the Network engineer and the Application/Software engineers. The emphasis on introducing this certification track is to bring development skills sets in networking technology.
Cisco Certification Suite | DevNet certification program comprises of the following tracks:-
- Cisco DevNet Associate Track
- Cisco DevNet Specialist Track
- Cisco DevNet Professional Track
- Cisco DevNet Expert Track
Cisco DevNet Associate Track | DEVASC 200-901
The certification track is for professionals who have 1-2 years of experience in software development and maintaining and managing applications build on the Cisco platform. The certification aims at validating a candidate’s core knowledge of the Cisco platform, application and APIs. The candidate is expected to have hands-on experience with programming languages. The certification is more helpful for professionals aiming to expand their skillset towards NetDevOps and software automation.
- Junior Developer/Developer
- Junior Software Engineer
- Junior Application Developer
- Junior Automation Engineer/Automation Engineer
- Junior Cloud Developer
- Junior Site Reliability Engineer (SRE)
- Junior DevOps Engineer
- Jr/Entry-level DevOps Engineer
- Test Development Engineer
Cisco Certified DevNet Specialist | Concentration Exam
The Cisco DevNet Specialist is for developers who have worked in the industry for 3-5 years of experience in development, operations, security or infrastructure. The certification is used to validate specialized knowledge on applications and services using Cisco platforms and devices.
The courseware can be divided into 2 parts:
- Software Specialist
- DevNet Core exam | 350-901 DEVCOR | Developing Applications Using Cisco Core Platforms and APIs.
Design, development and debugging of applications using Cisco APIs and platforms, and management and deployment of applications on Cisco infrastructure
- DevOps | 300-910 DEVOPS | Implementing DevOps Solutions and Practices using Cisco Platforms (DEVOPS)
Configure and manage deployment automation that enables automated configuration, management, and scalability of cloud microservices and infrastructure processes on Cisco platforms.
- IoT | 300-915 DEVIOT | Developing Solutions using Cisco IoT and Edge Platforms (DEVIOT)
Validates knowledge as it pertains to Cisco IoT edge compute and network architecture.
- Webex | 300-920 DEVWBX | Developing Applications for Cisco Webex and Webex Devices (DEVWBX)
Validates knowledge as it pertains to Webex API foundations, Webex Meetings, WebEx Devices, messaging, embedding Webex, and administration and compliance.
- Automation Specialist
- Collaboration Automation | 300-835 CLAUTO | Automating and Programming Cisco Collaboration Solutions (CLAUTO)
Validates knowledge of implementing applications that automate and extend Cisco Collaboration platforms including programming concepts, APIs and automation protocols, and Python programming.
- Data Center Automation | 300-635 DCAUTO | Automating and Programming Cisco Data Center Solutions (DCAUTO)
Validates knowledge of implementing data centre automated solutions.
- Enterprise Automation | 300-435 ENAUTO | Automating and Programming Cisco Enterprise Solutions (ENAUTO)
Validates knowledge of implementing enterprise automated solutions.
- Security Automation | 300-735 SAUTO | Automating and Programming Cisco Security Solutions (SAUTO)
Validates knowledge of implementing security automated solutions, including programming concepts, RESTful APIs, data models, protocols, firewalls, web, DNS, ISE, cloud and email security.
- Service Provider Automation | 300-535 SPAUTO | Automating and Programming Cisco Service Provider Solutions (SPAUTO)
Validates knowledge of implementing service provider automated solutions including Programming concepts, Orchestration, Programming OS, Automation tools.
Cisco DevNet Professional Track | 350-901 DEVCOR + 300-xxx Concentration Exam
The Cisco DevNet Professional exam requires 3-5 years of professional hands-on experience in implementing Cisco applications on Cisco platforms.
The exam included involves 1 core exam + 1 concentration exam.
They include designing and developing resilient, robust and secure applications using Cisco APIs and platforms, and managing and deploying applications on Cisco infrastructure. This helps people of multitude profile to move and scale bigger roles like :
- Network engineers can expand skills to include software and automation
- Developers moving into automation and DevOps
- Solution architects moving to the Cisco ecosystem
- Infrastructure developers designing hardened production environments
The certification is more helpful for professionals aiming to expand their skillset over senior positions and managerial roles in NetDevOps and software automation. They can opt for roles like:
- Developer/ Sr. Developer
- Software Engineer
- Applications Developer/ Sr. Developer
- Automation Engineer/ Sr. Engineer
- Cloud Developer/ Sr. Cloud Developer
- Site Reliability Engineer (SRE)
- DevOps Engineer/ Sr. DevOps Engineer
- Sr. Test Development Engineer
- Sr. Automation Engineer
- Security Automation Engineer
Cisco DevNet Expert Track
Not much about the DevNet Expert has been revealed yet, although Cisco has promised to make it available in the near future.
Exam details will be available from February 2020.